Monday, December 30, 2013

At the End of 2013 {Dad's Update}

Dear Children,

I am distressed that Mom's condition is going downhill all the time.  She has difficulty in finishing a thought that she feels is very important.  At times I can guess what she is trying to say, but other times I am clueless.  Today, as I usually do, I asked her to have the prayer before lunch.  She started out, but very soon she stopped and said "It's just this Alzheimer's".  So I finished the prayer.  That was a big sign that things are getting worse in that she generally prays for at least 5 minutes (and sometimes even thanks God for the food).  I know she has a feeling to thank God for many things, but at times she just can't verbalize her feelings.  Later this afternoon we discussed the possibility that eventually she may need a nursing home.  I told her that if she gets to the point that she becomes incontinent and does not recognize me as her husband, it may be necessary.  She agreed that that would  necessitate nursing home placement.

I have been thinking that I need to get some time away.  One possibility would be to do something like going to Bible Study Fellowship which I believe meets on a Tuesday evening.  That would necessitate her staying with (Simply a Daughter) unless someone else would stay with her here.  I am going to talk to a man who is active in that group to see if now is the time to join that group or if one needs to wait until later for a new study.

So far, Mom is very easy to manage as long as I know her limitations.  I do direct her clothing for each day.  I also have to do more of the supervision of the laundry. But I found out that I have my fallacies.  The last time that we did laundry, I failed to check the pockets to a pair of her slacks.  So we spent a long time picking pieces of the tissue off all the other garments.  :)  Of course if it would have been my pants, I don't use tissues and there would have been less of a problem.  But I learned a lesson.

I think that she did well with the holidays and enjoyed them very well.  In closing I want to say that I am holding up very well.  

Love,        
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment