Tuesday, March 26, 2013

While There Is Life

Some time ago, I saw the following quote on Facebook:

Treat your parents with loving care...

For you will only know their value,
when you see their empty chair.

As always happens when I think of my parents' eventual death, deep sorrow gripped my heart; and I was reminded that, no matter how difficult things become as they age...no matter how helpless my mother becomes because of Alzheimer's...no matter how much pain I experience in this time of extended mourning...these are days to appreciate--days that will be gone and will not return.

Someday those empty chairs will stand as a vivid reminder of what has been lost.  But while my parents are still here to fill them, I will be glad.  While there is life, I will give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment